Sunday, April 10, 2011

Guitar! and Mini-camp

Last week (the last week of March) was mostly filled with boring day to day stuff and preparing for the weekend.  However, there was one very important development:


I got a guitar!  Semir Sitarevic (Predators TE) was generous enough to lend me this Fender acoustic guitar!  Semir insisted that it goes unplayed most of the time, as he usually plays another guitar when he plays.  He brought it by Tuesday and in its first week in my care, I have given it plenty of attention.  I bought a capo from a nearby music store and the last step I'll take will be to fit her with some new strings.  It's nice to be able to pick up a guitar again.

Now, why all the preparations?  The first weekend of April was scheduled to be our first chance to face another team in a sort of mini-camp/scrimmage.  However, the team we were to face pulled out.  Therefore, the weekend became an internal mini-camp, with two practices (yes, a two-a-day in Europe!) on Saturday, team building activities, team meetings, and a practice on Sunday morning.

Everything kicked off with an 8am practice Saturday morning.  It was well attended and we were able to go 11 on 11 for the first time all year in practice.  I was very proud of the guys for coming out at such an early hour and in good numbers.  We were sharp in drills and the team session was definitely the best we'd had so far (it sure is nice to be able to have 11 guys on both sides of the ball).

After morning practice, breakfast was scheduled at the clubhouse.  On the way to the clubhouse, I spotted these characters:


If you look closely, there is what looks to be a giraffe doll hanging around the giraffe's neck.  Does that weird anybody else out?


Predators were appropriately attacking the spread that Anders Klang, Kristianstad Predators President (just barely visible through the glass above) laid out for the team.


We enjoyed a good meal and good company before heading to a nearby bowling alley that the club had rented out for an hour of team building!


We were able to spread out and go mosly 3 to a lane, allowing plenty of chances for....


STRIKES! (Linebacker Sacarias Hörnquist celebrates above)


...and, well, less successful attempts (sorry, Marcus Johnsson, a much better Reciever than bowler).

I bowled with DE Peter Burén and RB Marcus Dickson.  Peter and I were neck and neck the entire session.  We tied the first game and I narrowly edged him out in the second.


After bowling for team building, we returned to the clubhouse for almost three hours of chalk talk and dinner.  Again, more time well spent together both in fun and learning.

We finished the day with a long, full speed, full contact practice that we kicked off with some good old fashioned Oklahoma drill to wake up the echoes.  To be honest, I would have preferred the guys shook down more thunder, but we'll get there.

We were slightly shorthanded in the evening session, so the team period wasn't as good as in the morning, but it was another good workout for all involved.


Sunday morning brought another bright and early start.  I was back on the field at 8am to be Tyson's assistant in the U17 practice until my team came at 9:30.  After such good work the day before, they deserved the rest.

Sunday was less productive than I'd hoped due to attendance, but we were able to install and work on things nonetheless.


Apparently, Alex Nilsson (on top?) and Benjamin Hörnquist (both WRs) felt the need for more team building activities after Sunday's practice.

I am slightly ashamed to admit this, but Sunday afternoon I ate at Burger King.  I joined some of the guys on the team, though, so it was not at my behest.  I am not yet that in need of "American" food to go there on my own.  Not yet.

I did spot an ultra-American red-white-and-blue-American-flag painted Statue of Liberty in the dining area.


It was almost like being in the States.

A good weekend of football and getting better!

1 comment:

  1. that guitar is beautiful. i am jealous. i want a fender.

    ReplyDelete