Friday, September 3, 2010

First Icelandia Laundry Day

Time for another laundry related blog!

Today was my first day of doing laundry at Icelandia.  Laundry at Icelandia, which I understand is similar to laundry in other Swedish apartment buildings, is sort of a process.  First, you must reserve your time in the laundry room.


Reservations are carried out on the board above.  Your number goes in a slot that will reserve you either the 0700-1400 or 1400-2100 time slot on a given calendar day.  I reserved the morning slot, so I was up early to get started on my laundry.


The facilities are more than adequate.  There is a laundry room with two washers, a dryer, and a mysterious, tricky, clothes spinning machine, as well as an entire drying room with clotheslines and a heater to help accelerate the drying process.

After many trips up and down the stairs, reminiscent of my time living on the third and fourth floors of Stanford Hall at Notre Dame, I was able to complete my laundry after a few hours.  I was also able to grab a time slot for when I return from the Netherlands and Barcelona.

The rest of the day was pretty low key, highlighted by finishing up the excellent HBO miniseries The Pacific.  I don't think it was quite as good as Band of Brothers, but maybe only because I saw Band of Brothers first, and The Pacific is similar.  It's a truly incredible series, despite being difficult to watch sometimes.  The Pacific Theater was so violent and horrific and I don't think the common American knows nearly as much about it as the European Theater.  The Pacific did a great job of delving into the psychological toll that the war in the Pacific had on the marines fighting there (a la Jarhead), which was both very interesting to me and very painful to see.  Tremendous men with tremendous stories who made unfathomable sacrifice.

up early for laundry, finished the pacific

No comments:

Post a Comment