Saturday, August 28, 2010

Kristianstad vs. Västerås Playoff Game

After a very late return to Hässleholm last night, I slept in pretty late Saturday morning.  In fact, I had to show a little hustle to get showered and ready to catch the train to Kristianstad to watch a first round Division I playoff game between the Kristianstad C4 Lions and the visiting Västerås Roedeer, who finished 2nd in the North region of Division I.


On my way to train station I walked through the farmer's market that was going on in Hässleholm's square.


I was sort of in a rush to make the game, but still stopped to take some pictures in my first walk through Kristianstad.  This church is directly across from the train station.


Here is another European city square about a block from the train station.


And another farmer's market!


I like how these towns all have small parks and flower gardens, often with fountains and/or statues in their centers.

After a brief moment of panic when I thought I had walked to the wrong stadium in Kristianstad (I just approached it from the opposite side, which meant I was looking at a brand new about to be opened indoor arena instead of the football field), I walked a bit farther and found the field, just in time to see the coin flip:


Västerås on the left in white, Kristianstad on the right in blue.


I also got to see Hurricane's starting left guard Lucas Grip in action as an official (back judge, in this game).  Vertical stripes are very thinning.

The first half was entertaining and tight.  From the start, Västerås appeared to be a much better team, but with the help of a kickoff return and long pass for a touchdown and key penalties and a fumble by Västerås, C4 was able to enter halftime tied 21-21.


The second half was very different.  Västerås was able to completely stifle C4's offense and imposed their will offensively, displaying an efficient passing game and an explosive running game.  Final score: Västerås 49, Kristianstad 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment